Friday, October 19, 2012

What a Knockout…Bacon Wrapped Pineapple!

What a Knockout…Bacon Wrapped Pineapple!


What a Knockout…Bacon Wrapped Pineapple!

by ZESTY · 45 COMMENTS
Happy Monday and thanks you so much for your support on both the shirt slogan and the idea.  I greatly appreciate it!  I hope you had an awesome weekend as I know I did.  The weather was great and we were able to get some things done outside (Christmas lights taken down, some of the flower beds weeded).  I also got a little bit of shopping in, did some visiting and attended the annual home show.  In addition to this, I did some weekly planning for zestycook.com both post and food wise for the week.
bacon_wrapped_pineapple_5
Now take a look at this – bacon wrapped pineapple topped with a homemade barbecue sauce. Talk about a killer appetizer.  When I made this dish the last couple of times, the pieces of pineapple literally flew out of the baking dish.  This really is a crowd favorite.
I am just guessing but I think the bacon has something to do with that.

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup ketchup
  • 1/4 Cup  brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/8 Tsp. hot sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 (15 1/2 oz.) Can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 1 Lb. bacon, cut in half crosswise

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. bacon_wrapped_pineapple_1
  4. Remove from heat, set sauce aside.
  5. bacon_wrapped_pineapple_2
  6. Wrap each pineapple chunk with a piece of bacon, securing with a wooden pick.
  7. bacon_wrapped_pineapple_3
  8. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan. (Notice how I forgot the rack in this picture.  I actually took out all the pieces and added the rack.  However, leave it to me to forget to take another picture)
  9. bacon_wrapped_pineapple_4
  10. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then baste with sauce, return to oven.
  11. Bake an additional 15 minutes until bacon is cooked.
  12. Serve with sauce.
  13. bacon_wrapped_pineapple_final
  14. ENJOY!
Zesty Tip: When cooking this dish, it is essential you place the pineapple/bacon on a rack for the grease to fall through below.  If not the bacon will disintegrate off the pineapple and you will be left with just pineapple.

Zesty Clothing Update

Well it looks like “Get Zesty” is the winner of the new slogan for the clothing line.  I am going to be working on setting up the store and having all the selections ready to go shortly.  I will let you know when everything is finalized and purchases can be made.  Once everything is complete, I will kick off the clothing with a fun little giveaway of some free stuff for you.  I can’t wait to get started.
Question of the day: Have you ever tried bacon wrapped fruit before?

No comments: